PhotoMagic Contest! Show Your Growth as a Photographer
One of the great things about photography is that the more you shoot, the more you improve. Take a look at some of your photos from a year, month or even a week ago. I bet you’ll see areas you feel you could improve upon either technically or creatively. Not to mention all the new tricks you pick up as you hone your post-processing skills.
With that in mind, and PhotoMagic in just a few short days we thought we’d set up a little challenge.
Go back through your photo libraries and find a shot from a previous trip. The further back the better. Look for a shots that you were proud of at the time, but feel you would be able to ‘do-over’ much better now. Then, do just that. Come to PhotoMagic, re-take your photo and post both images to show just how much you’ve improved over time.
- Your follow up shots MUST be taken during PhotoMagic 2013 (October 19 – 24)
- Photos should be similar with the same subject evident in both shots.
- Along with your photos, also post a brief description of your thought process behind shots to share with everyone.
- We will setup a specific section on the forum for everyone to post their before and after photos once the event is over.
- The before and after photos must be posted by 9:00 am eastern on Monday November 4th.
While this is a way to see how we have all improved, it wouldn’t be a contest if we didn’t give something away. The person who has the most improved photo will win a FREE 1 year account to SmugMug.
The winner photo will be picked by the four of us here on the site (Adam, Alan, Cory and Ryan). Judging will be based on the photo that shows the most improvement from the original.
We think this is a great exercise to show how your photography can improve in a short amount of time. It is important to go back and remember your earlier work so you can see how you have grown as a photographer, and this should be a fun way of doing that.
Here is an example of a before and after photo taken by Alan to give you an idea of what we are talking about. If you have any questions, let us know in the comments.
Original photo taken in 2003
Updated photo taken in 2012